Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility

Personal licence

What a personal licence is, how long it lasts for, how to apply and who can object.


A personal licence allows you, or a member of staff, to sell or supply alcohol from a licensed premise.

All premises with a premises licence will need at least one personal licence holder if alcohol is being sold or supplied. A Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) is the person named on the premises licence who is responsible for the running of the premise. A DPS must hold a personal licence.

Personal licences are valid indefinitely and are portable throughout England and Wales.

Who can apply

You can apply if you:

  • are aged 18 or over
  • possess an accredited licensing qualification
  • have not given up a premises licence within 5 years prior to making an application
  • have not been convicted of any relevant or foreign or offence

How to apply

Applicants must be over the age of 18, and must submit the following to us:

  • An application fee of £37. Please make cheques payable to Staffordshire Moorlands District Council
  • A copy of your completed  Personal licence application form [226KB]  (this includes a disclosure of convictions form)
  • Two passport photographs, one of which is signed verifying the likeness of the photograph to the applicant by a solicitor, notary, or person of standing in the community or an individual with a professional qualification.
  • Proof that you hold a licensing qualification (Accredited Personal Licence qualification providers)
  • A basic disclosure check. Further information can be found below

Criminal record checks

As part of your application, you will be asked to complete a 'Disclosure of convictions and declaration form' which is on the back page of the application form.

You will also need to send us one of the following: 

  • a criminal conviction certificate
  • a criminal record certificate
  • the results of a subject access search of the Police national computer by the National Identification Service

The above should be dated no later than one calendar month before the application.

Basic criminal records checks can be obtained from Disclosure Scotland


The Police can object to a licence in certain circumstances. They must give us an objection notice within 14 days of the application being received. A hearing must then be held within 20 working days beginning the day after the 14 day period. Your application will then be decided by the licensing committee at a hearing.

Changing or replacing a licence

If you have changed your name and/or address or your licence has been lost or stolen, you will need to pay a fee of £10.50.  Please complete the application below and return with the fee.

Change of name of Personal Licence application form [26KB]

Change of address of Personal Licence holder application form [26KB]