Show mobile menu
Show search control
Show search control
Search Site

Make a building regulations application

Before starting any building work to your property you should check if you need building regulations approval. Most work will require an application which you must submit before starting any work.

Which type of application should I submit?

There are different kinds of building regulations application forms for different kinds of projects.

Building notice application

This type of application is only available for works to dwellings and only if there are no sewers under or near to an extension. We don't need constructional drawings with this type of application, but do still need a layout plan. Your application can't be processed without this.

Replacement windows

If you are taking windows or glazed doors out, and replacing with new, and the work is not being carried out by a contractor able to self certify their work (FENSA, CERTASS, BMTRADA) then submit this form to us. 

We will send back a questionnaire with your acceptance letter that you need to complete and return to us. If you are altering the size of the window openings and making structural alterations then a building notice should be used.

Electrical installations

If electrical works are being carried out by a person that is not able to self certify their work, a form should be submitted to us. We will send back a questionnaire with your acceptance letter that you need to complete and return to us.

Full plans application

If your project does not fit into any of the categories above, you will need to submit a full plans application. Full constructional drawings should be sent to us to assess, along with a layout plan showing the position of the works. Your application can't be processed without this.

If you know which type of application you need, you can apply online.

If you need help deciding which application is right for you, contact building control for advice.

If you've carried out works without consent

You can apply for a regularisation certificate for works undertaken after 11th November 1985. It has become difficult to sell a house that has had alterations without building regulation approval. Some of the breaches to the building regulations might need to be put right, but we will advise on this.


Building regulation charges can be complex, which is why we invoice you once your application has been submitted. The document below should give an idea of how much each type of application costs.

Building control charges [49KB]