Show mobile menu
Show search control
Show search control
Search Site

Club premises certificate

What is a Club Premises Certificate?

A club premises certificate allows a members' club to carry out licensable activities, ie, the supply of alcohol and the provision of regulated entertainment. There is no requirement for a qualifying club to have a Designated Premises Supervisor or personal licence holder.

How to qualify

To qualify for a Club Premises Certificate the club must make sure that it follows certain rules.

These are:

  • that new members must wait a minimum of two days before being allowed full membership privileges
  • that alcohol and entertainment is only provided to members of the club and their guests
  • that the club has at least 25 members
  • that the club is conducted in good faith and that there is no arrangement for anyone to benefit financially from buying or selling alcohol

Under the Licensing Act, under 18's are no longer allowed to consume alcohol on club premises.

If a club wishes to provide licensable activities to the general public, it may apply for a premises license or, subject to certain restrictions, a Temporary Event Notice (TEN).

How to apply

The application for a Club Premises certificate is the same as that for a premises licence. 

However, you'll also need to send us a copy of the club rule book.

Apply for a club premises certificate online GOV.UK

What is costs

Club premises fee on GOV.UK

Varying the licence

If you need to vary a licence, you will need to complete an application form and pay a fee. You can do this online.

Apply and pay for a variation to a club premises certificate GOV.UK

Apply and pay for a minor variation GOV.UK

Notification of change of details or club rules GOV.UK