Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Why do I need a completion certificate?

A completion certificate is proof that the building work has been carried out in accordance with Building Regulations and therefore is safe and legally safe.

Once a completion certificate has been issued to you it is advised that you keep it in a safe place (possibly with the deeds of your property). This is because when and if you should sell your property you will be asked if any alterations have been made to it, and if there have been, whether you have a completion certificate to prove it was done in accordance with Building Regulations.

If the work has not been satisfactorily completed further visits may be required before a completion certificate will be issued.  If it has been over 12 months since the last site inspection it is likely a further fee will be payable.

If work was satisfactorily completed, but you have misplaced your copy a replacement may be provided by Building Control, but will cost £50 including VAT.

If work did not have Building Regulations but they were needed a Regularisation application will have to be made.

All of the above may hold up the sale of your property, so ensure you put your completion certificate in a safe place.