Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Second Adult Rebate (SAR)

What is Second Adult Rebate (SAR)?

Second adult rebate is a rebate you can get on your council tax if you are of pension age.

You might be entitled to claim if you have a second adult living with you who is not your partner and whose income is low or who is on certain types of benefits.

The amount that your council tax is reduced by will depend on the income of the adult that lives with you. Their capital is not taken into account.

Who can claim

You may be able to claim SAR if you can't get Council Tax Reduction because your income or capital is too high. Capital means things like savings and certain types of property.

We will only look at the income of the person that is living with you, and not at your own income or capital.

The adult living with you:

  • must be over 18
  • must not be your husband, wife, partner or civil partner
  • shouldn't have joint responsibility with you for paying council tax
  • doesn't have to pay you rent
  • must not be a joint owner or tenant 
  • must have income below a certain amount, or who gets benefits

If there is more than one 'second' adult living with you

If there is more than one second adult sharing your home, the income of both or all of them is taken into account, except for the disability payments. If one of the adults is getting any of the following benefits, their income is also ignored:

  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment And Support Allowance (ESA)
  • universal credit

The local authority will count the income of any other second adult who isn't getting one of these benefits.

If you're entitled to second adult rebate, it will be based on the income of the second adult who isn't on benefits.

How to claim

To apply for Second Adult Rebate you will need to create or log in to a Staffs Moorlands online account. If you don't have one already, click the button below and register. If you already have an account with us you can also log in here.

Once you're registered

  • go to 'Submit a request' and select the 'Claim Benefit' form
  • it should take between 15 and 20 minutes to complete
  • you will need to have your personal and income details ready
  • you can upload scanned / saved evidence of your address, income and other benefits or do this later

 Tracking the progress of your claim

When you have submitted your application through your online account, you will be able to track it from start to finish. We will contact you (usually via email), if we need any further information, and to let you know the progress of your claim.

What happens next

Once you submit your form, we will send you an email confirmation. It's really important that you get all the information we've requested to us as soon as possible, otherwise your claim could be delayed. If we have everything we need, your claim should be processed within 21 working days.