Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Do you need help paying rent?

If you pay rent for your home, you may be entitled to help with rent payments from either Universal Credit or housing benefit. You can apply for both of these benefits online, but only housing benefit is claimed from Staffordshire Moorlands District Council.

Claiming Universal Credit

You will need to claim Universal Credit unless:

  • you and your partner are pension age
  • you are in receipt of Severe Disablement Premium which is included in your income
  • you live in supported accommodation, rented from a housing association or registered charity
  • you have been placed in temporary accommodation

If any of the above apply, you will need to make a claim for housing benefit.

Check which benefit you should apply for

It's really important that you claim the right benefit. If you don't, you could miss out on money that you are entitled to and your claim could be delayed.

Claiming housing benefit

If you know you need to claim housing benefit, you can make an application using our online account.

Claiming council tax reduction

If you are applying for Universal Credit you will need to make a separate application for council tax reduction to help towards your council tax payments. If you are applying for housing benefit, you can apply for council tax reduction as part of your application.

You need to apply for housing benefit and / or council tax reduction through your online account. If you don't have an online account, click the button below and register. If you already have an account with us you can also log in here.

PLEASE NOTE - You will need your own e-mail address to set up an account. Once you have submitted your application, we will contact you electronically if we need further information and to tell you the outcome of your claim.

Once you're registered

  • go to 'Submit a request' and select the 'Claim Benefit' form
  • it should take between 15 and 20 minutes to complete
  • you will need to have your personal and income details ready
  • you can upload scanned / saved evidence of your address, income and other benefits or do this later

Tracking the progress of your claim

When you have submitted your application through your online account, you will be able to track it from start to finish. We will contact you (usually via email), if we need any further information, and to let you know the progress of your claim. We aim to process new claims within 21 working days.

Need help?

If you do not have an e-mail address, or need advice on how to complete the form, please contact us by clicking on the button below. 

You can also contact Citizens Advice for help with the form. They will be able to offer you an appointment at one of their offices in LeekCheadle or Biddulph.